Posted by : Waalid Al-Marbawi Jul 15, 2011
Police arrested peaceful demonstrators, fired tear gas canisters directly at protesters, and tear gassed a hospital compound on 9 July, in attempts to stop the electoral reform rally known as Bersih 2.0 from gathering in a stadium.
One protester, 56-year-old Baharuddin Ahmad, collapsed near the landmark Petronas Towers while fleeing teargas and was pronounced dead later in hospital.
“Prime Minister Najib’s government rode roughshod over thousands of Malaysians exercising their right to peaceful protest,” said Donna Guest, Deputy Director for the Asia-Pacific at Amnesty International.
“This violent repression by the Royal Malaysian Police flies in the face of international human rights standards, and cannot be allowed to continue. Any future peaceful demonstrations should be permitted and respected by the authorities.”
Amnesty International is calling on the Malaysian authorities to investigate claims that police failed to provide prompt assistance to Baharuddin Ahmad before his death, including reports that an ambulance arrived only an hour and a half after he collapsed.
Many protesters were beaten by police and officers of the Federal Reserve Unit, a special force used to suppress mass public assembly. One of the numerous Youtube videos of police violence shows plainclothes officers kicking a protester lying on the ground, while uniformed police stand by.
Police also fired tear gas canisters directly at protesters, including members of the parliamentary opposition. Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim was injured after a canister was fired in his direction, and Khalid Samad, a Pan-Islamic Islamic Party (PAS) member of parliament, was injured after being hit in the neck by a canister.
Tear gas was also fired at a hospital where protesters had retreated, putting the health of patients at risk, although this was denied by the Malaysian police.
“The British government shouldn’t reward this brutality by rolling out a red carpet for Malaysia’s prime minister,” said Donna Guest. “David Cameron should tell Prime Minister Najib that these human rights violations against peaceful reform protesters are unacceptable.”
Amnesty International is also calling on the Vatican to press Najib to respect human rights when the Malaysian leader visits Rome later this week.
All protesters arrested during the rally have now been released without charge. According to local sources, many of those released bore injuries sustained during arrest.
“The use of force by police at this rally was excessive, unnecessary and designed to instil fear,” said Donna Guest.
Around 40 people arrested in the run-up to the rally still face prosecution. Most have been charged under Section 49 of the Societies Act for possession of illegal materials, including Bersih T-shirts.
Six members of the Socialist Party (PSM) have been indefinitely detained without charge under an Emergency Ordinance since 2 July. One of them, member of parliament Dr Jeyakumar Kumar, was hospitalized 10 July for a heart condition following days of prolonged interrogations.
sumber : AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE
.:: Arkib Permata ::.
- ► 2012 (278)
- Perang cyber Mesir: Siswa/wi vs UMPORNO
- Kandungan Memorandum 9 Julai 2011
- Pabila Kak Erma Fatima Melatah!
- [video] Pencabulan Hak Mahasiswa!
- [video] YB Jamil Khir Tolak Memorandum Pelajar Mes...
- Tahajud Cinta : Cemar Realiti Islam
- BERSIH 2.0 : POLIS MINTA VIDEO DARI ORANG RAMAI!
- BERSIH : Lagi Tindakan Kepada MAHASISWA
- Cakna Mahasiswa : Tahniah PMRAM!
- Al-Fatihah : Pergi Tak Kembali~
- Ugutan Tarik Tajaan Mahasiswa: Ingatlah Kuasa ALLA...
- BERSIH : Yayasan Terengganu Perlu Siasat Dahulu Pe...
- KENYATAAN RASMI PENASIHAT GERAKAN SUARA RAKYAT (SU...
- BERSIH 2.0 : Mahasiswa Mesir Diugut? Apa Kata Kami...
- Keluhan Subuh
- ISU PENYINGKIRAN : APA PENDAPAT ANDA?
- Gara-Gara BERSIH 2.0 - Pemimpin pelajar di Mesir d...
- Malaysia: Police use brutal tactics against peacef...
- Thank you, rakyat Malaysia — Kashini Krishnamurthy...
- Lagi Ugutan Kepada Pelajar!
- Kalau Dahi Tak mengenal Sejadah
- Cedera dalam pengeboman zionis di Gaza
- Links Exchange! JOM....
- 10 Titik Kebangkitan Islam Daripada Angan-Angan Ke...
- EM Mesir Bertindak Kpd Pelajar!
- Di Mana Generasi Mariam
- BERSIH 2.0 : BERITA DARI SINGAPURA
- KEBENARAN VS KEBATILAN
- Suggestion to Kerajaan For avoid BERSIH 3.0
- Malaysians Resort To Facebook To Voice Out Their O...
- Peniaga KL Rugi RM 40 Billion gara-gara BERSIH
- Bersih 2.0 : Siapa Yang Taksub dan Pokok Kelapa
- Video : Himpunan Aman Bersih Diluar Negara
- Doaku buat kalian Pejuang ISLAM!
- BERSIH 2.0: Awas SMS Perangkap Pihak Polis..!
- Siapa ada maklumat berkenaan TOK GURU ni...
- BERSIH 2.0: Nama-Nama Pimpinan Yang Disenaraihitam...
- Kemana Perginya Kesedaran
- Sonic boom caused Cairo 'explosion' panic
- Video : Iklan Kerajaan sempena BERSIH 2.0
- Pakaianku Lebih Baik Dariku
- PM bersihkan BERSIH
- Gambar Sekitar Pra Bersih : Rakyat Malaysia di Mes...
- Aku Dok Tahu Setarang Barah
- Proton Pahlawan Series
- Titah khas Agong mengenai perhimpunan haram 9 Jula...
- Bulan Syaaban : Peristiwa Dan Amalan
- Renungan Akibat Facebook-Selepas MATI!
- Suruhanjaya Komunikasi dan Multimedia Malaysia (SK...
- Adakah Malaysia Akan Terjadinya "يوم الغضب"-Hari K...
- Aduh..Kena Tangkap Dengan Polis,Macam Mana Mahu Bu...
- BERSIH 2.0: 60 Pengundi Dalam 1 Rumah..?
- Konvensyen PMRAM & DPM Bakal Tiba
- Jangan Sertai Perhimpunan 9 Julai - Pengerusi Majl...
- Macam Ni Ke SPR Negara Kita?Wajib Tukarlah...
- ▼ July (55)